If you live in California, chances are that you use a motor vehicle as your primary source of transportation. Every day, there are millions of drivers on our California streets and highways, which is why it is likely that you will be involved in a car accident at least once in your life.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2003, over 6.3 million traffic accidents were reported in the United States. Of those accidents, 42,643 were fatal crashes. For the same year, California reported 4,215 fatalities from traffic accidents. That’s almost 10% of the national average! It is probably no surprise that over one-third of these fatal traffic accidents were speed-related.
It is important to protect yourself and other drivers on the road. Limit distractions such as cell phones, pagers, loud music, etc. Be aware of your surroundings at all times by looking in your mirrors frequently. Never drive at speeds higher than the posted limits. Carry an insurance plan that covers accidental damage as well as protection from uninsured and under-insured motorists.
Here are 10 Golden Rules to follow if you have been involved in an auto accident:
- Stay calm to get information.
- If someone is injured, call the police and paramedics.
- Do not admit fault.
- Get the names of any witnesses.
- Make sure to get the driver’s license numbers and license plate numbers of the parties involved.
- If you are injured in a Los Angeles or San Fernando Valley auto accident, make sure you tell attending paramedics, police and
- emergency room personnel of all injuries.
- If a camera is available, take photos of the vehicle and the scene.
- Do not leave the scene without exchanging information.
- Report the loss to the insurance company but do not record a statement without counsel.
- Contact Robert J. Mandell at The Mandell Law Firm for further assistance.
If you or someone you know is involved in a car accident, seek the helpful representation of an experienced car accident lawyer immediately. You may be able to file a claim to recoup financial losses that were a result of the accident.
The Mandell Law Firm is an experienced personal injury and wrongful death firm serving clients throughout the San Fernando Valley and all Southern California. Our Los Angeles car accident lawyers provide hands-on care for victims of accidents and wrongful death, including auto accidents, car crashes, and all motor vehicle-related injuries.
We are dedicated to representing victims of car crashes and auto accidents. Let our experienced lawyers help you recover maximum monetary compensation for damages and injuries resulting from automobile accidents. Contact Mara Bennett or any of the attorneys at The Mandell Law Firm for a free case evaluation.